I used Chinese Spinach to prepare dal palak (you can use the normal Indian palak too) & the taste was impressive. I’m going to prepare this often as everyone was very happy eating it.
1 cup masoor dal (you could use normal toor dal too)
1 bunch spinach (I used 250gms packet)
½ tsp grated ginger
1 medium sized onion finely chopped
2 green chilli pods (chopped)
1 tsp dhania powder/coriander seeds powder
½ tsp chilli powder/paprika
1/2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp milk cream (optional, I used nestle cream got from local market here)
1 tbsp oil
½ tsp cumin seeds
Salt according to taste
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tbsp chopped cilantro
- Wash the spinach well, drain out the water & pressure cook the leaves for 1 whistle (don’t add any water while cooking).
- Pressure cook the pigeon pea until soft (may be 2-3 whistles)
- Prepare a puree out of the cooked spinach without adding any water.
- Take a broad pan, add oil to it. When oil is hot, add cumin seeds. When cumin seeds crackle, add ginger, green chillies & finely chopped onion.
- Fry the onions till they turn golden brown. Add cooked lentils, spinach puree, salt, coriander seeds powder, chilli powder, garam masala & mix well.
- Allow the whole mixture to boil. Add cream & mix well.
- Turn off the flame, add lemon juice & garnish it with coriander leaves.
- Serve it hot with phulkas, naan or rice.