The last couple of weeks I was sick & my taste buds were dead. To rejuvenate them, I wanted something very spicy & tangy. Hence made the red chili chutney as a side dish to the ragi dosa. I loved it; but nobody at home touched it! :( They could not take the spice level of the chutney. This chutney is only for those who love eating spicy, spicy & more spicy food.
Recipe Source: Southern Spice
Ingredients: (Makes around 1 cup of chutney)
Dried red chili: 12nos (I used the round variety)
Shallots or onion: Around 3/4th cup, peeled & coarsely chopped
Tomato: 1 medium sized
Oil: 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds: 1/2 tsp
Gram dal/channa dal/kadalebele: 1 tsp
Salt: According to taste
- Heat oil in a wok.
- When oil is hot, add mustard seeds. When mustard seeds splutter, add gram dal. Fry till the gram dal turns golden.
- Throw in the red chilies(along with the seeds, do not forget this is a spicy chutney!). Saute for 30secs.
- Add the onions & saute for 2-3mins (Sweating of the onions is what we need, don't over fry them).
- Throw in the tomatoes, salt & saute for another minute or two. Remove it from heat.
- Allow the ingredients to cool.
- Blend them with very minimal water to a smooth paste. Enjoy it with idli, dosa or rice.
- This chutney tastes better with shallots/sambar onions.
- tomatoes could be replaced with tamarind extract.
- Shelf life of this chutney is no more than 2 days (when refrigerated).