1 cup green gram/hesaru kalu/ hara moong
1 medium sized onion
½ tsp grated ginger
½ tsp garlic paste (optional)
2-3 green chillies chopped
½ tsp cumin seeds/jeera
A generous pinch of turmeric
Salt according to taste
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp lemon juice
Coriander leaves, a few for garnishing
- Soak the green gram in water for 1-2 hours.
- Pressure cook the green gram until completely soft (may be 3-4 whistles). Allow it to cool.
- Heat a broad kadai, add oil. When oil is hot, add jeera. When jeera turns golden brown add, ginger.
- Fry ginger until the raw smell disappears. Add green chilli & sauté for 30 secs.
- Add onions & sauté till onion becomes translucent.
- Mash the cooked green gram. Add the mashed green gram, turmeric, salt & boil on low flame.
- Turn off the flame & then add lemon juice, mix well.
- Garnish with cilantro/coriander leaves. Serve it hot with roti or rice.