Whenever I visit my aunt's place in Malenadu, she serves me home made akki shavige/shamige (rice vermicelli). She prepares the tangy lemon shavige as she knows that it is a hot favorite for many of us. Here in Singapore, I do not have the instrument to prepare akki shavige. Hence, I have used store bought rice noodles/vermicelli.
Ingredients: (Serves 2-3)
Rice noodles: 200 gms
Water: 1 liter
Salt: According to taste
Oil: 2 tbsp
Mustard Seeds: 1/2 tsp
Urad dal: 1.5 tsp
Channa dal/gram dal: 1.5 tsp
Groundnuts/Peanuts: 2 tbsp
Green chilli: 3-4nos
Curry leaves: 2 strings
Turmeric: 2 big pinches
Coconut: 3-4 tbsp
Coriander leaves/cilantro: 2 tbsp (finely chopped)
Lemon juice: 4-5tbsp (adjust accordingly)
- Boil water in a broad pan. Add salt. When water starts boiling, add the rice noodles & cook according to the package instructions. (I normally cook for 3-4 mins). When noodles become soft, turn off the heat & let the noodles sit in hot water for another minute.
- Drain the hot water & run the noodles under cold water. Break the noodles into manageable size.
- Allow it to cool.
- Meantime, prepare the tempering. Heat oil in a pan. When oil is hot, add mustard seeds. When mustard seeds splutter, add urad & channa dal. When dal turns golden, add ground nuts & roast till the nuts turn golden brown. Add green chilli, curry leaves, turmeric & turn off the heat.
- Pour this tempering over the noodles, adjust salt. Add lemon juice, coconut, coriander leaves to the noodles. Mix then thoroughly.
- Serve it with chutney, pickle or as is.