Here is what my mom-in-law uses to prepare this: (Serves 3-4)
- Pressure cook the moong dal & allow it to cool (2-3 whistles or 15minutes must be sufficient for the dal to be soft).
- Mash the dal gently & add the mashed dal, water to a broad pan. Add turmeric, half of the chopped green chillies, pepper powder, salt & cook on a low heat until water starts to boil. Once dal starts boiling, turn off the heat.
- Prepare the tadka/tempering/oggarane. Heat oil in a small sauce pan. When oil is hot, add mustard & cumin seeds. When mustard seeds crackle, add the remaining green chillies, curry leaves, asafetida & pour the tempering to the rasam.
- Add the lemon juice, coriander leaves & mix well.
- Serve the hot rasam with piping hot rice, pickle & papad.
- Reduce the amount of oil & drink it as a soup too.
- This rasam is helpful to beat the cold as it is rich in Vitamin C.
- Add a pinch of pepper powder to take double advantage for fighting against cold.