I enjoy preparing & eating atleast one variety of tambli (Yogurt sauce) every week. Tambli is such an easy preparation & it can well be prepared within 15-20mins. Not only easy to cook, but also packed with nutrition & tastes heaven.
You can find more information about ಹೀರೇಕಾಯಿ/ridged gourd here or in wikipedia
1 cup chopped ridged gourd(use tender ones for preparing)
1-2 green chillies
1/2 tsp cumin seeds/jeerige
3tbsp cup grated coconut (fresh/frozen)
1.5 cups thin butter-milk/yogurt
salt according to taste
1 tsp ghee/clarified butter
a generous pinch of asafoetida
4-6 curry leaves
1 broken red chilli (optional)
- Grind together the ridged gourd, cumin seeds, green chillies, grated coconut using the buttermilk to a smooth paste.
- Mix this paste, salt with the remaining butter-milk.
- Prepare the tempering in a separate pan. Add ghee to a pan, when ghee is hot, add mustard seeds, when mustard seeds splutter, add curry leaves, broken red chilli & finally add asafoetida.
- Pour this tempering on the yogurt sauce prepared.
- Mix well & serve it with rice.
- Ridged gourd can be used with the skin, there is no need to peel & discard the skin.
- If ridged gourd is not very tender, then cook it until soft by adding little water & then use the cooked ridged gourd to prepare the above recipe
Beautiful Tambli, love it. I am smiling after I read "Vaidya and rogi" saying, good one! :))ReplyDelete
Yet another Tambli.. i wish we had good buttermilk here...But I must try this Tambli some time soonReplyDelete
Love tamdli, never tried with heerkai !! Shal sure give a try !!ReplyDelete
Oh, I love all forms of thambli as well!! the basic shunti thambli is my favorite, though....ReplyDelete
i Enjoy ur posts - simple recipes.
i too would luv to try but i cannot make good curds.Do you use store brought ones or prepare urself.can u pls show how to make curds...
kasta yenoo illa, neeve heppu haaki mosaru madbahudu & you could use the same
try madi nodi, it tastes good
Thanks, I love all varieties of tambli
I will surely post the recipe for making curd soon. Thanks for leaving the comment, do visit again :)
Thank you for the prompt reply...i will be waiting for the procedure for making curds.ReplyDelete
i do keep visiting your blog often..bad part i donot leave a comment...
i tried spinach tambli...it was very tasty and soothing...next will be menthya tambli.
I like Tambali very much, but dint taste Heerekai Tambali till today, 'Hosa Ruchi' is it...? I will tell my mom...ReplyDelete