1 cup chopped vegetables (cauliflower, potatoes, French beans, carrots, peas, corn etc)
2 cups basmati rice
1 medium sized onion sliced
1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
1 tsp powdered cinnamon
2 bay leaves
3 green chilies slit
Salt according to taste.
3 tbsp butter/ghee/oil
½ tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp mustard seeds
4 cups water
- Heat butter in a broad pan.
- When butter is hot, add cumin seeds & mustard seeds. When mustard seeds splutter, add bay leaves, powdered cinnamon, cardamom, cloves & fry for 20-30 secs
- Add ginger-garlic paste & sauté well. Add onions & fry till onion turns golden brown.
- Add green chillies, chopped vegetables & mix well. Allow the vegetables to be cooked in butter for sometime (Keep stirring to avoid the vegetables from sticking to the pan & getting burnt).
- Add water, salt & bring the mixture to a boil (Simmer the flame to ensure vegetables are cooked & soft)
- Meantime, wash the basmati rice & soak it. Drain the water & just keep the wet basmati rice. (If you soak in water for long time, the grains break & pulao would become sticky).
- When water starts boiling, add basmati rice & cover the lid to ensure proper cooking of the rice.
- Mix the rice in between only once. When the grains are separate & all water evaporates, turn of the flame & keep the pulao covered for a minute.
- Mix the pulao gently & serve it hot with a spicy raitha.