Kannadigas (People from Karntakaka) use heerekayi in preparing dishes like thovve (dal), chutney with the outer skin, chutney with cooked heerekayi, tambli, sambar etc. This vegetable gets cooked fast & tastes good as is. Usually, when preparing dishes using heerekayi, not many spices are added to retain the taste of the vegetable.
Now that I have told so much about this vegetable, it is your turn now to go ahead and try this chutney. You’ll keep licking your fingers for more. This chutney gives out a nice aroma & tastes great with rice.
1 cup chopped ridged gourd (no need to peel out the skin, use the vegetable as is)
2 tsp urad dal
1 tsp seesame seeds/til/yellu (I use white seesame)
¼ tsp mustard seeds
¼ tsp thick tamarind juice
A pinch of jaggery (this enhances the chutney taste)
Salt according to taste
3 red chillies
½ cup grated coconut
1 tsp oil
A pinch of asafoetida/hing
3-4 chopped curry leaves
- Add salt, jaggery, tamarind paste, water to the chopped ridged gourd & cook it till the vegetable becomes soft (don’t add too much water as the chutney needs to be kept thick).
- Let the vegetable cool for some time.
- Mean while, add 2-3 drops of oil to a kadai & roast urad dal, seesame seeds & red chilli.
- Mix roasted spices, coconut, salt (if required, as we have added salt while cooking the vegetable), cooked ridge gourd & make a fine paste out of it. (Use the cooked water from the vegetable for grinding).
- Prepare the tempering by adding oil, mustard seeds, curry leaves & hing (in the same order).
- Pour this tempering onto the chutney prepared & serve it with rice.