During wedding preparations they normally say, we can compromise on anything, but not on food. People remember your wedding by the food that was served & not by the jewelry, decoration or any other thing for that matter (there may be exceptions though!!). I am one among those people who remember occasions, weddings, parties by the food served. It always happens that I fall in love with one or the other dish served during such celebrations & it becomes a memorable one for me :)
The dishes adorned during some celebrations have become a part of our lunch/dinner menu now. I must say, dal makhani is one such dish. I was not fascinated about this dish, but I feel I have developed the liking for it & now I love this “black lentils cooked on a low heat with loads of butter & spices”.
Whole urad dal with skin/black lentils: 1 cup
Rajma/Kidney Beans: 1/4th cup
Ginger-garlic paste: 1tsp
Green chillies: 2 nos
Salt: according to taste
Cashew nuts: 8-10 soaked in water/milk
Plain Yogurt: 2-3tbsp (thick yogurt)
Savory water: ½ cup (optional)
Red chilli powder: 1 tsp
Amchur powder: 1 tsp (optional)
Garam masala: 1/2 tsp
Kasoori Methi(Dried fenugreek leaves): 1 tbsp
Garlic paste: 1 tsp
Tomatoes: 3 nos (instead use 1 cup tomato puree)
Oil: 3 tbsp
Salt: According to taste
Cilantro/coriander leaves: 1 tbsp finely chopped for garnishing
- Wash the rajma & black lentils thoroughly & soak them in water overnight or for 8-10hours. Drain completely.
- Add 4 cups of water, ginger-garlic paste, green chillies to the soaked dals & pressure cook for 4-5 whistles. Keep the heat on medium for the first 2 whistles & reduce the heat for the remaining.
- Meantime, soak the cashewnuts in milk/water & prepare a smooth paste out of it.
- Blanch the tomatoes & chop it finely or prepare a puree out of it.
- Heat oil in a thick bottomed pan, add oil to it. When oil is hot, add garlic & saute till garlic turns golden brown. Add tomato paste or finely chopped tomatoes & cook on a medium flame.
- Crush the kasoori methi & add it to the pan. Cook until the tomatoes ooze out oil & changes its color.
- Drain the water from the cooked lentils/dals & mash them gently.
- Add the savory water, 1/2 cup water, salt & cooked dals to the pan. Add red chilli powder, amchur powder, cashew paste. Cook the dal on a low heat for 20-30mins. (Keep adding 2-3tbsp water if required).
- Add yogurt, butter, garam masala & cook for another 5 minutes.
- Garnish it with cilantro & serve hot with rotis/naans or plain parathas.