Went inside the kitchen, started looking for the ingredients, prepared it in the next 30 minutes & enjoyed eating. You also note down the ingredients, you never know when you might need it ;)
1.5 tbsp jeera/cumin seeds
2 cups basmati rice
1 tsp ginger garlic paste
1 onion finely chopped
Salt according to taste
4 cups water
1 tbsp butter/oil (I personally feel butter gives better result)
- Take a broad pan. Add butter to it. When butter is heated, add cumin seeds. When cumin seeds turn golden brown, add ginger garlic paste, onion & sauté well.
- Let the onion turn golden brown.
- Add water, salt & allow water to boil.
- Meantime, wash the basmati rice & soak for 5 mins
- When water starts boiling, add the rice & close the lid of the pan.
- Allow the rice to be cooked for 10-15 mins. Keep peeping in between, but don’t mix the rice. Just take a peek.
- When the rice is almost done, mix the rice gently & allow the remaining water to evaporate completely.
- Serve it hot with spicy & tangy raitha, any curry of your choice or just normal dal-fry.
- Don’t soak the rice for more than 5-10 mins. Rice becomes sticky.
- Donot pressure cook this rice (even 1 whistle in the cooker would make the rice soggy & sticky)
- Don’t keep mixing the rice when it is being cooked. Just do it once at the end. Take a heavy bottomed pan, the rice won’t be burnt with that & turns out just perfect.
These simple tips help to make jeera rice that looks & tastes like how we get in restaurants!!