I am one of those nuts who watch all cookery shows without a book & pen in hand. I just enjoy watching the show. Sometimes, few dishes attract me soo much that I start memorizing the ingredients & prepare it on the same day or the very next day. I note the ingredients in a small chit & prepare it.. One can see soo many such chits floating in my home; hubby keeps wondering as to what those chits are for!!
Spanish rice is one such dish I saw in Zee Kannada Channel. I found it to be a very simple dish. It was prepared the very next day at my home & since then this recipe is treasured in my list. Cook it & relish it to believe me. It is very tasty & filling.
Long grain rice: 3 cups (I used basmati)Water : 6 cups
Onion: 1/2 cup (finely chopped)
Capsicum: 1/2 to 3/4th cup ( chopped into 1 inch cubes)
Tomato paste: 1 tbsp
Garlic: 2 tbsp (finely chopped)
Red chilli: 8-10 (adjust according to your needs)
Cheddar cheese: 3tbsp (grated)
Butter: 1 tbsp
Cilantro: 2tbsp (finely chopped)
Lemon juice: 1 tsp (optional)
Parmesan Cheese: a big pinch (for garnishing, optional)
- Wash the rice 2-3 times in running water & cook it by adding 6 cups of water. Allow it to cool.
- After the rice is warm, spread the rice & let it cool completely.
- Meantime, make a fine paste of red chillies & garlic. Add a tbsp of water if required while grinding.
- Heat the butter in a broad pan, when butter is hot, add onions & saute till turn soft (need not wait for it to turn golden brown). Add capsicum & cook it on a medium-high heat for 2 mins.
- Add the chilli-garlic paste, tomato paste & saute for a minute.
- Add the cooked rice, salt, cheese, mix well & cook till the cheese melts.
- Add lemon juice, mix & garnish it with cilantro
- Serve it hot/warm with wafers or papad
Awards:Asha of "Asra Ashaon Ka"has showered me with a lot of awards. Thanks a lot Asha. It means a lot. Here is a quick peek into the awards.I'll put them soon in my sidebar too.