Raw banana: 3 nos
Oil: 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds: 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds: 1/4 tsp
Urad dal: 1/2 tsp (optional)
Curry Leaves: A string
Red chilli: 1 broken (optional)
Asafoetida: a pinch
Turmeric: a pinch
Salt: According to taste
For spice powder:
Urad dal/Uddina bele: 1.5 tbsp
Red chillies: 4-5nos
Grated coconut: 1 tbsp
Coriander leaves: 1 tbsp (finely chopped)
Lemon juice: 1 tsp
- Gently peel the raw banana & cut them into 1 cm squares. You can slice them too. Its your choice.
- Soak them in thin buttermilk or rice drained water. (Note: This is to avoid them from turning black soon)
- Meantime, dry roast the urad dal & red chillies. Allow it to cool & prepare a powder using a mixer. Keep it aside.
- Heat the oil in a broad pan. When oil is hot, add mustard & cumin seeds. When mustard seeds splutter, add urad dal & saute till dal turns golden brown. Add curry leaves, asafoetida, turmeric & red chilli. Saute for 10secs.
- Now add the raw banana pieces & saute till a fine layer of oil is coated on the bananas. Sprinkle few drops of water & allow the banana to cook for 2-3mins (keep stirring in between as the banana might stick to the pan). When bananas are half cooked, add salt & if needed sprinkle few more drops of water. Cook for another 1-2mins.
- Finally add the spice powder, mix together & cook for another 30secs.
- Turn off the heat, add grated coconut, coriander leaves, lemon juice & mix well.
- Serve it hot/warm as a side dish for rice.