Tomato puree: 2 cups
Onion: 1 cup (sliced)
Parmesan Cheese: 3 tbsp (optional)
Pasta herbs: 1 tbsp
Garlic: 3 pods
Capsicum: 2 cups (sliced)
Paprika: 1 tsp
Pepper powder: 1 tbsp
Salt: According to taste
Butter: 4 tbsp
Olive oil: 3 tbsp
Coriander leaves : 3 tbsp (finely chopped)
- Soak the black eyed peas for 5-6 hours.
- Add little salt & pressure cook or boil the black eyed beans until soft & yet firm (It would take around 3 whistles in the cooker). Allow it to cool & drain the water from the peas.
- Cook the pasta as per the package instructions. ( I add 3-4 litres of water(for 500gms penne), salt & few drops of olive oil & allow the water to boil.When water starts boiling, add penne & cook on medium-high heat for 10-15minutes, until soft & firm. Refer to the tip here to find out when pasta is properly cooked).
- Drain the water from penne & add few drops of olive oil. Olive oil helps in keeping the penne seperate & the pasta doesnot stick to each other.
- Heat olive oil, butter in a broad pan/wok. When oil is hot, add garlic, onion & saute till they turn golden brown. Add tomato puree, pasta herbs, sugar, paprika, salt(be very careful when adding salt as we have already salt while cooking penne & black eyed peas).& cook on a medium flame. The raw smell of tomato should disappear & the sauce must become thick.
- During midway, add capsicum & keep heating the sauce. When capsicum is half cooked, add cooked black eyed peas, cheese & reduce the heat. Cook for another minute or two. Add pepper powder.
- Toss the pasta with the sauce, garnish with coriander leaves & dig in.
Last but not the least, I have got quite a few awards from my friends. Sorry..I missed announcing them in last couple of posts. Thanks a lot Jyothi & Sushma. I have put the awards on the sidebar. I will talk about "The honest things" in my next post. Keep waiting !!