So, today I'm giving you a tried & tested dish that I have been cooking for many years now. A very simple & delicious 'Karnataka style' palya recipe for you all to enjoy.
Here are the ingredients & the method.
Ivy gourd/Thondekayi: 250gms
Grated coconut: 3-4 tbsp
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Amchur powder/Huli pudi: a big pinch
Oil: 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds: 1/4th tsp
Curry leaves: a string
Chilli powder: 1 tsp
Coriander leaves : 2 tbsp (finely chopped)
Salt: According to taste
- Wash the ivy gourd & pat dry. Chop them into thin slices or discs.
- Heat oil in a broad pan. When oil is hot, add mustard seeds, curry leaves & saute until mustard seeds start spluttering. Add the chopped ivy gourd & saute them well. Add 1/2 cup water & allow it to cook on a medium flame.
- Meantime, make a coarse paste of coconut, mustard seeds & chilli powder. Add a tbsp or 2 of water if required.
- When the vegetable is cooked & soft, add the salt, huli pudi(amchur powder) & the coconut masala. Cook for another 2-3minutes.
- Garnish it with coriander leaves & serve it with rice or roti.
- The palya has to be dry & not a gravy kind of stuff.Hence, keep a watch on the amount of water added to the masala & to the vegetable.
- For faster cooking, pressure cook the vegetable before hand & then prepare the palya as mentioned above.