This is a slightly different version than the normal guliyappa/gundpongalu/paddu. See the ingredients yourself to make out the difference ;)
Here I go...,
1/2 cup moong dal (split yellow gram)
1/2 cup channa dal (ಕಡಲೆ ಬೇಳೆ)
1/2 cup urad dal (ಉದ್ದಿನ ಬೇಳೆ)
1/2 cup fenugreek seeds (ಮೆಂತ್ಯ)
4 cups raw or idli rice
1/4 cup poha/beaten rice/ಅವಲಕ್ಕಿ
salt according to taste
1 tbsp oil
- Soak all the above mentioned ingredients (except salt & oil ofcourse) for atleast 4 hours.
- Make a smooth paste of this soaked mixture (batter should be like normal idli batter).
- Allow it to ferment for 6-8 hours (I normally keep it overnight)
- Add salt to this batter .
- Heat the guliyappa pan & add 2 drops of oil to each of the holes, pour this batter & cook on both sides until it turns golden brown.
- Serve it hot with a chutney of your choice.
Here goes some dal guliyappa for you all...
Lastly, you can also find a different type of guliyappa recipe @ TOM.