Jeera : Helps in digestion & fights against acidity
Pepper : Soothes throat in case of itching or infection, fights against cough & cold. It is said to be soothing to stomach too (green chilli causes acidity ). Keeps the body warm.
Garlic : Fights against cold, good for heart (said to reduce the cholesterol level)
Curry leaves : Helps to reduce weight
These days, I’m preparing this rasam once a week to keep ourselves away from cold. So, here is the recipe for you to protect your family from cold, cough & throat infections!!
1 tbsp black pepper/kalu menasu
½ tbsp jeera/cumin seeds
1.5 cups water
¼ tsp ghee
6 curry leaves
1 pod garlic minced
Salt according to taste
½ tsp tamarind powder/amchur powder
A pinch of jaggery(optional)
1 tsp oil
¼ tsp mustard seeds
- Roast the cumin seeds & black pepper separately by adding very little ghee
- Powder them together & preserve it in a air-tight container. This powder could be used for upto 3 months. It gives out a nice aroma as it is roasted in ghee.
- Add water, 1.5 tsp of the above mentioned powder, jaggery & bring them to boil
- Add tamarind powder, salt & boil it again.
- Prepare the tempering by adding oil to another pan. When oil is hot, add mustard seeds. When mustard seeds splutter, add curry leaves & garlic. Fry till garlic turns golden brown.
- Add this tempering to the rasam prepared.
- Serve it steaming hot with rice.
- This could be consumed as a soup too.
- Lemon juice can be substituted for tamarind or amchur powder. Lemon juice fights against cold.
Bisi bisi menasina saaru, best winter dinner!ReplyDelete
kosambari on the plate also looks yummy