We called our hubby's grandfather today to wish for the festival. We told him that, breakfast was pundi. So, he told us that, pundi has to be prepared tomorrow (Amavyse, new moon day or on the Lakshmi Pooja) & today(On Naraka Chaturdashi), it has to be kadubu (something similar to idli, but it is prepared using jackfruit leaves!!). So, decided to prepare pundi for the amavyse from next year :)
Okay, seems like I have deviated from the topic.
Here goes the recipe.
2 cups raw rice (soaked in warm water for 3-4 hours)
2 tbsp grated coconut (fresh/frozen)
salt according to taste.
5 cups water.
- Grind together the raw rice & grated coconut to form a smooth rava like paste (like we prepare for idlis). Dont add too much water.
- Add 5 cups of water & enough salt to a broad & heavy bottomed pan/kadai.
- When water starts boiling, add this rice paste prepared & keep stirring.
- Keep the flame on medium or low, as rice gets cooked faster & lumps may be formed.
- Keep stirring, rice lumps may be formed, but dont worry. Keep mashing them & keep stirring until the entire stuff becomes a single mass ( this may take around 8-10 mins).
- Now, remove it from flame & start making small rice balls from that mixture. Keep dipping your hands in cold water in between & make the balls when the mixture is hot.
- Now steam cook the rice balls (just like a normal idli) for 20-25 mins.
- Pundi is ready to be served.
Below is the pundi/unde for you with coconut chutney. Enjoy.., the steaming hot pundi with ghee & coconut chutney or sambar or with a pickle
I'm sending this pundi recipe to Veda who is hosting the "challenge" event.