As I mentioned before.., our family members are from various parts of Karnataka. Myself from Chikmagalur, my hubby from Udupi(South Canara), my co-sister is from Sirsi(North Canara), my sister's in-laws are from Belgaum..., so I get a chance to taste the wide range of Karnataka recipes, slurp, slurp... :))
The food prepared in North Canara (Sirsi, Siddapur side) is quite interesting & I must accept that my co-sister is an expert in that ( I don't get tired appreciating her culinary skills :) ). I learnt this one from her & here is my small effort to put North Canara recipes..,
Raw Mango - 1 (Take a sour one)
Green chillies - 2
Garlic - 1 pod (minced & chopped finely)
4 curry leaves
salt according to taste.
2 cups water
1.5 teaspoons oil (I use coconut oil to this, as the aroma will be good & tastes authentic)
1 teaspoon jeera/cumin seeds
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- Chop the mango & green chillies.
- Add 2 cups of water in a vessel & add mango & green chillies to it.
- Cook the same for 10mins or till mango is soft.
- Allow it to cool.
- Now, remove the skin of the cooked mango & mash the mango & chilli in the water cooked.
- Add salt according to taste & bring the water mixture to a boil.
- Heat oil in a tadka pan, when oil is hot, add mustard seeds & jeera. When seeds crackle, add garlic & curry leaves. Add this tadka to the water boiled.
- Appe huli is ready to serve.
- It tastes good with rice, pickle & papad.
I have a sample plate for you that has appe huli, rice, majjige menasu ( dried chilli in yogurt), bitterguard chips, butter-milk (majjige), pickles.., Aren't you hungry after seeing this????