This starter played a major role in increasing the BMI of me & my hubby. We used to crave for Pizza Hut’s garlic bread. Aha!! It used to be lip smacking. My hubby knew my craving for garlic bread & he used to make sure we eat it at least once a week during my pregnancy days. I remember eating 1 & ½ portion (1 portion => 4 slices) of garlic bread with cheese 2 days before my delivery too ;)
I had almost forgotten the taste of garlic bread after I moved here. Recently, on one of the lazy saturday afternoon’s, I started looking for garlic bread recipe & I found something interesting here. I gave a try, but did not have high expectations as I did not have an oven & had to compromise with the microwave. It did not come out very well since I used more garlic & the end result became a little bitter. I tried 2-3 times again with small portions until I was happy with the result. However, it would taste better if baked in an oven, but microwave was also not a bad idea :)
Here is my first tried version of garlic bread. I served this with pasta.
Baguette: 1/2 loaf
Mixed herbs: 1 small pinch on each slice
Margarine: 5 tbsp
Garlic: 3 pods
Salt: A pinch
- Slice the baguette into 3/4th inch slices.
- Roast the garlic on a medium flame till raw smell of garlic disappears & it turns slightly brown. Allow it to cool.
- Grate the garlic or prepare a paste out of it, mix the garlic with margarine. Add salt, mix well.
- Spread a pinch of herbs on the sliced baguette & spread the garlic butter/margarine generously over the slice.
- Arrange it in a microwave safe tray & bake it for 8 minutes.
- Allow it cool & serve the garlic bread with any dip or with pasta of your choice.
PS: My microwave does not have temperature indications on it. I tried 2 slices first by keeping it in medium power for 5 minutes. The crust became very hard. Hence, kept it on medium for 2 minutes & 6 minutes on low power. It turned out good. Hence, be prepared to perform few trials until you get a hang of your microwave.