Planning for coming day’s breakfast becomes a tough task for all married women (so called Gruhini in Indian Language). It would become more complicated after having a kid. Morning breakfast should be healthy, filling & your child should also eat it without complaining!! So many restrictions!? Vermicelli upma is one such recipe shared by my chikamma (aunt).
· 2 cups vermicelli (I used bambino vermicelli packet)
· 1 cup chopped vegetables (Used carrots, french beans, peas, corn kernels)
· 1 medium sized onion chopped (optional)
· 2-3 green chillies chopped
· 4-5 curry leaves
· 1 tbsp oil
· ½ tsp mustard seeds
· 1 tsp urad dal
· 1 tsp channa dal
· Salt according to taste
· 1 tsp sugar (optional but highly recommended)
· 3 cups water
· 3 tbsp grated coconut
· 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves/cilantro
- Add 1 tsp oil to a broad pan, when oil is hot, add vermicelli & roast till vermicelli turns golden brown.
- Keep the vermicelli aside.
- In another broad pan, add oil. When oil is hot, add mustard seeds, followed by urad dal, channa dal & fry till the dals turns golden brown.
- Add chopped green chillies, curry leaves & sauté for 30secs
- Now, add onion to it & fry again till onion turns golden brown.
- Add all the chopped vegetables & sauté them in oil for 2-3minutes.Later, add water to the pan & allow it to boil. (Finely chop the vegetables to ensure it to get cooked in a short time)
- Press the vegetable to make sure it is properly cooked.
- Add salt, sugar & reduce the flame. Add the vermicelli 2 tbsp at a time & mix well.
- Close the lid & allow the vermicelli to get cooked properly (this process may take a maximum of 5mins).
- Switch off the flame; garnish it with coriander leaves & coconut.
- Mix well & serve it hot.
- To reduce the cooking time, boiled vegetables could be used.
- If vermicelli is not properly roasted, the upma becomes very sticky.
- The vermicelli could also be roasted & preserved in advance for future use. Other easier option is to buy already roasted vermicelli ;) (Roasted bambino or MTR vermicelli is also available these days).