Per is a Tulu word for milk. The name of this dish is unlike its ingredients. Here milk refers to coconut milk. This is one special dish that can be consumed for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Very easy to prepare & tasty to eat. Coconut lovers can hook on to this dish for ever.
(Pic: Porridge served with carrot pickle)
I got this recipe from hubby's aunt during my last visit to India. I tried using store bought coconut milk, but somehow didnot like the taste of it. Freshly extracted coconut milk would taste & smell many times better than the store bought coconut milk.
Rice: 1 cup (Use ponni rice, raw rice or sona masoori)
Water: 3 cups
Coconut milk: 1/2 cup (thick)
Coconut milk: 1 cup (thin)
- Soak the rice for 30mins.
- Meantime bring water to a boil. When water starts boiling, add the rice & cook it on a low heat until rice is 3/4th done. Add the thin coconut milk & cook again. When rice is completely done, it becomes mushy.
- At this point, add thick coconut milk & cook for another 3-5mins.
- Perganji/Coconut milk porridge is ready. Serve it with pickle or chutney or palya/stirfry/poriyal.
- Donot add ghee while serving this porridge as coconut milk & ghee donot go hand-in-hand.
- Salt is not generally added to this porridge, but if your family prefers, go ahead & add.