People are crazy about eating healthy food these days (I am no exception!). I generally buy a kilogram of oats every alternate month & look out for dishes to satisfy my taste buds. I, being a "not-so-big-fan" of oats, look for smart ways of consuming the oats. During one such search, I found the oats upma recipe in Saffola Oats book.
Don't get alarmed by the exorbitant list of ingredients. They are all common ingredients & always stored at your pantry!
Preparation time: 10mins
Cooking time: 15mins
Serves: 1 hungry me (my hubby is always "no" to oats. Hoping to change him soon :D)
Quick cooking oats: 1 cup
Water: 1.5 cups
Avarekai/Surtipapdi/Flat beans: 1 tbsp, optional ( I had them handy, then used them)
Chopped capsicum: 1 tbsp
Finely chopped onion: 1 tbsp
Tomato: 1 no(small one), chopped
Green chillies: 2-3 nos
Ginger: 1/4th tsp, grated
Curry leaves: 6-8 nos
Ghee/Clarified butter: 2 tsp
Oil: 1 tsp
Mustard seeds: 1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds: 1/4 tsp
Urad dal: 1 tsp
Cashew nuts: 1 tsp, broken
Turmeric: a pinch
Salt: Adjust to taste
Sugar: 1/2 tsp
Coriander leaves: 1 tsp, chopped
- Toast the oats for 1-2 minutes in the microwave |OR| use the stove top to roast the oats lightly. Keep it aside.
- Boil the water.
- Meantime, prepare the tempering. Heat oil + ghee in a kadai. When oil is hot, throw in mustard & cumin seeds, urad dal & cashew nuts. When nuts turn golden brown, add the curry leaves & green chillies.
- When curry leaves become crisp, add the onion & ginger. Saute for 2-3 minutes, until the onion changes its color (no need to brown the onions!).
- Add the tomato & saute for another 30 secs.
- Throw in the capsicum & saute again.
- Add the boiling water to the tempering. Follow with turmeric, salt & sugar.
- Finally add the toasted oats & cook the oats covered on a low heat for 2 minutes.
- Turn off the flame. Garnish with coriander leaves & enjoy.
Love this twist in Khara bath...Yummy looking..ReplyDelete
Kitchen - The Chef's Paradise
Delicious and fulfilling Khara Baath. I would travel many miles just to get a taste of it.ReplyDelete
I was yet 2 make brkfast n ur post gave me d idea of making this as its only 4 me..n now oats kb(but in my way) is in my hands..:) urs look yumm yooReplyDelete
wonderful kharabath.. too yummy need this meal for me..ReplyDelete
looks very tempting and delicious..a very healthy recipeReplyDelete
nice way to start the day with oats.ReplyDelete
Healthy breakfast idea!ReplyDelete
wonderful healthy recipe...ReplyDelete
Today Only I leanrt how to do Sweet oats pongal. Again another useful recipe here. Yummy!!!!ReplyDelete
What a perfect plating sush...looks so yumm:)ReplyDelete
Healthy and super filling oats khara bhath..ReplyDelete
Very healthy twist... and looks delicious too:)ReplyDelete
delicious healthy kharabhath...ReplyDelete
first time here sushma and a great spcace ..nice to follow you
do drop in at my plae when time permits
my Mum had made oats Kharabhat once & I loved it .. YummReplyDelete
This is one of the awesome posts. I like your blog details. its very healthy..ReplyDelete