One fine day I decided to cook it, just for my hubby's love towards coriander. I followed it to the tee & the end result is.., I have cooked it a dozen times already :D I also shared the recipe with my friends & all those who tried, have given a thumbs up to it.
Cooking time: 30mins
Preparation time: 20mins
Basmati rice: 3 cups
Water: 5 cups
Salt: According to taste
Cooked vegetables: Around 1 cup (I have used carrots, potatoes, peas)
For coriander paste:
Coriander leaves: around 100gms or 1 bunch
Onion: 2 medium sized
Green chilies: 3-4 nos (adjust according to your needs)
For the tempering:
Cooking oil: 1.5 tbsp
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
De-skinned black gram/urad dal: 1 tsp
Gram dal/Channa dal: 1 tsp
Cashew nuts: 1 tbsp (sliced)
Capsicum: 2 tbsp (cut into thin strips)
- Wash the basmati rice thoroughly in water & drain the water. Let it soak for 20mins.
- Boil 5 cups of water in a broad vessel & when water starts boiling add rice & cook the rice on a medium flame until the rice is cooked. Allow it to cool. Fluff the rice & spread it on a large plate.
- Meantime, wash the coriander leaves & green chili.
- Make a smooth paste of coriander leaves, onion & green chilies (no need to add water, the moisture from the coriander leaves & onion is sufficient).
- Heat oil in a pan. When oil is hot, add mustard seeds followed by urad & channa dal.When dal turn golden brown, add cashews.
- When cashews turn golden,add the cooked vegetables, capsicum & saute for 1-2mins.
- Add the coriander paste & saute for another 1-2mins. Remove from heat.