Karibevu shavige oggarane is a modification of curry leaves rice recipe. For more information about curry leaves refer here
Kari/Kadi patta: Hindi;
For other language translations refer here.
Rice Noodles: 200gms
Water: 1.5 liter
Salt: According to taste
For curry leaves paste:
Curry leaves: 1/2 cup (tightly packed)
Urad dal/Split & deskinned black gram: 1.5 tsp
Green chilli: 4-6 nos (adjust according to the heat)
Grated coconut: 1 tbsp (fresh/frozen)
Thick tamarind paste: 1 tsp (Juice extracted from a big grape sized tamarind)
Salt: As needed
Jaggery/ Brown sugar: a big pinch (optional, but recommended)
Oil: 2 tbsp
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Cumin seeds: 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves: a string
Turmeric: a pinch
Urad dal: 1 tsp
Peanuts/Groundnuts: 1 tbsp
Chopped cashew nuts: 1 tsp (optional)
Capsicum: 1 medium sized (cut into 1/2 inch cubes)
Grated coconut: 1 tbsp (optional)
For curry leaves paste:
- Dry roast the curry leaves until all the moisture is removed & the leaves become crisp(the curry leaves could alternatively be sun dried or roasted in oven).
- Dry roast the urad dal/black gram until golden brown. Allow them to cool. Make a fine paste of curry leaves, urad dal, green chilli, salt, coconut, tamarind & jaggery.
- Add few teaspoons of water to make a paste. Do not add too much water.
- Cook the rice noodles as per the package instructions. (In case the instructions are not given, try this:
- Boil 1.5 liters of water in broad pot.
- Add sufficient salt to the water.
- When water starts boiling, add the rice noodles, few drops of cooking oil & cook it on a medium heat for 2 mins.
- Turn off the heat & let the noodles sit in the hot water for another 5-7 mins. Noodles become translucent when done.
- Drain out the hot water & rinse the cooked rice noodles in cold water to stop further cooking of the noodles). Keep them aside.
- Heat oil in a broad pan, when oil is hot, add mustard seeds, when mustard seeds splutter, add cumin seeds & urad dal.
- When dal turns golden, add peanuts. Roast peanuts until they are golden brown, follow it by cashew nuts.
- Add curry leaves & capsicum. Saute the capsicum till half done. Then add in the paste. Saute until the raw smell of tamarind is gone(for 2-3mins, maximum).
- Break the rice noodles & spread them on a large bowl, add the curry leaves sauce, salt (only if needed); mix the noodles gently.
- Curry leaves noodles is ready to be served.
Do not use dark colored curry leaves to prepare this rice as it could become a little bitter. Try to choose, light colored or freshly picked curry leaves.
Addition of sugar/jaggery reduces the bitterness of the curry leaves.
Curry leaves donot blend well if water is added at the initial stage. Hence, while making the paste of curry leaves, first add the leaves to the mixer jar/spice jar & give it a run(donot add water). Let the curry leaves become a coarse powder, then add all the ingredients & pulse it again to get a smooth paste.