Cooking time: 5-10mins
Preparation time: 5 mins
Left over idlis : 12 nos
Salt: According to taste
Sugar: a pinch (optional)
Grated coconut: 1.5 tsp (optional)
Lemon juice: 1 tbsp
Oil: 1 tbsp
Onion: 1 medium sized
Curry leaves: 4-6 nos
Mustard seeds: 1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds: 1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder: a pinch
Urad dal/black lentils: 1 tsp
Channa dal/gram dal: 1 tsp
Green chillies: 2-3 nos
- Break the idlis & mash them.
- Finely chop the onions, green chillies & keep them aside.
- Heat oil in a wok. When oil is hot, add mustard & cumin seeds. When mustard seeds splutter, add the urad & gram lentils. When the lentils turn golden brown, add curry leaves, turmeric, green chillies & onion.
- Saute the onion till it becomes soft & translucent.
- Add salt, sugar & mashed idli to the wok. Mix them gently & allow to cook on a low heat for 5 mins.
- Turn off the heat. Add coconut, lemon juice. Mix well & serve it hot/warm.
- If the idlis are very dry, add a few drops of water while cooking.
- Recipe for idli could be found here.