Some of the home-remedies using doddapatre leaves are as follows:
1. It has a cooling effect when mixed with yogurt/curd. Hence, this tambuli cools your body.
2. It helps get rid of common cold. These leaves must be heated on a griddle & when they start oozing out the juice, remove it from the griddle & squeeze the juice from these leaves. Mix this juice with equal amount of ginger juice + few drops of honey. Give to infants ( more than 6 months old) or young children. It is a very effective medicine.
3. It reduces the phlegm in young children. Follow the same procedure as above, but do not add ginger juice, just the doddapatre leaves juice + honey.
4. It works wonders for constipation & acidity. Consume the doddapatre chutney/tambuli three times a day for 2 days & notice the change. For treating acidity, don't add green chilli while preparing the tambuli or chutney. Avoid coconut too. Prepare a chutney/tambuli with loads of doddapatre leaves.
5. Read in a newspaper that, doddapatre juice is consumed and applied externally against measles.
6. Doddapatre juice helps to cleanse our system.
Doddapatre leaves: 30-40nos
Black Pepper: 1/2 tsp
Green chilli: 1 no (optional, I normally don't add this)
Cumin seeds: 1/4 tsp
Grated coconut: 3 tbsp
Curd/Yogurt: 2 cups
Salt: According to taste
Oil: 1/2 tsp
Oil: 1 tsp
Mustard seeds: 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves: a string (optional)
Red chilli: 1 no (broken)
Asafoetida: a pinch
- Wash the leaves thoroughly & chop them.
- Heat oil in a small wok. When oil is hot, add cumin seeds. When cumin seeds turn golden, add pepper & saute for 10secs. Add the doddapatre leaves & saute them till the leaves wilt. Turn off the heat & allow it to cool.
- Transfer the leaves, coconut to a mixer jar & pulse it until a smooth paste is formed.
- Scoop out the paste & pulse the yogurt with water for 2-3secs.
- Add the diluted yogurt/buttermilk, salt to the paste & mix well.
- Prepare the tempering. Heat oil in a pan. When oil is hot, add mustard seeds, when mustard seeds splutter, add curry leaves, broken red chilli, asafoetida & pour this tempering to the prepared yogurt mixture.
- Tambuli is ready to be served with steaming hot rice & papad/fritters.
I happened to update the picture of bittergourd chips. Have a look at the same here.