I feel doddapatre leaves (they look like this ) are underrated considering the medicinal values. Also, visit this link for language translations. BTW, tambuli is part of Udupi cuisine and its loose translation is yogurt coconut sauce.
Some of the home-remedies using doddapatre leaves are as follows:
1. It has a cooling effect when mixed with yogurt/curd. Hence, this tambuli cools your body.
2. It helps get rid of common cold. These leaves must be heated on a griddle & when they start oozing out the juice, remove it from the griddle & squeeze the juice from these leaves. Mix this juice with equal amount of ginger juice + few drops of honey. Give to infants ( more than 6 months old) or young children. It is a very effective medicine.
3. It reduces the phlegm in young children. Follow the same procedure as above, but do not add ginger juice, just the doddapatre leaves juice + honey.
4. It works wonders for constipation & acidity. Consume the doddapatre chutney/tambuli three times a day for 2 days & notice the change. For treating acidity, don't add green chilli while preparing the tambuli or chutney. Avoid coconut too. Prepare a chutney/tambuli with loads of doddapatre leaves.
5. Read in a newspaper that, doddapatre juice is consumed and applied externally against measles.
6. Doddapatre juice helps to cleanse our system.
Doddapatre leaves: 30-40nos
Black Pepper: 1/2 tsp
Green chilli: 1 no (optional, I normally don't add this)
Cumin seeds: 1/4 tsp
Grated coconut: 3 tbsp
Curd/Yogurt: 2 cups
Salt: According to taste
Oil: 1/2 tsp
Oil: 1 tsp
Mustard seeds: 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves: a string (optional)
Red chilli: 1 no (broken)
Asafoetida: a pinch
- Wash the leaves thoroughly & chop them.
- Heat oil in a small wok. When oil is hot, add cumin seeds. When cumin seeds turn golden, add pepper & saute for 10secs. Add the doddapatre leaves & saute them till the leaves wilt. Turn off the heat & allow it to cool.
- Transfer the leaves, coconut to a mixer jar & pulse it until a smooth paste is formed.
- Scoop out the paste & pulse the yogurt with water for 2-3secs.
- Add the diluted yogurt/buttermilk, salt to the paste & mix well.
- Prepare the tempering. Heat oil in a pan. When oil is hot, add mustard seeds, when mustard seeds splutter, add curry leaves, broken red chilli, asafoetida & pour this tempering to the prepared yogurt mixture.
- Tambuli is ready to be served with steaming hot rice & papad/fritters.
I happened to update the picture of bittergourd chips. Have a look at the same here.