Oil: For deep frying the seedai
* Dry roast the urad dal on medium heat. Let it cool. Once cool, make a fine powder out of it.
Sieve the rice flour & the urad dal flour.
To the flours, add sesame seeds, coconut, butter, salt & mix well.
Spread a damp paper towel.
Pinch out small marble sized dough & quickly roll it to a ball.
Keep the prepared balls on the damp paper towel.
Once all the balls are done, let it rest for about 15 mins.
Heat oil in a deep pan or sauce pan. When oil is hot, slide in the rolled balls.
Bubbles are formed in the oil & the oil rises up.
As the seedai gets cooked, the bubbles cease. Also, the oil sound shh reduces.
Cook the seedai till it is golden in color. I removed the seedai as soon as it turned golden. You could cook till you get golden brown color too.
Allow it to cool completely & then store it in an air tight container.
- It is very essential to sieve both the rice flour & the urad dal flour to avoid bursting of the seedai in oil.
- I used the Deep brand rice flour available here.
- Some people suggested me to dry roast the sesame seeds & the grated coconut too. However, I didn't do it.
- Do rest the rolled seedai for atleast 15 mins before frying.
- Do not roll the seedai for a long time. It doesn't matter if it is not perfect in shape.
- If you are using salted butter (just like I did), watch out while adding salt again.
- I microwaved the frozen coconut for about 10 secs & then used it when it was at room temperature.