Flax seeds are an excellent source for omega 3 fatty acids. They protect our bones, prevent & control high blood pressure, and lower cholesterol level. Many people don't know about this hidden gem. One tablespoon of flax seeds would provide almost 75% of daily requirements of omega 3 fatty acid! WHFoods has some additional info on Flax seeds.
I have used the original recipe as a base & modified according to what I had handy! Here goes my version.
Madhuri's version can be found here.
Gram dal/Channa dal: 1/2 cup
Urad dal: 1/4 th cup
Fenugreek seeds: 1/4th tsp
White sesame seeds: 2 tbsp
Garlic: 3 pods
Flax seeds: 1/2 cup
Dry coconut/Copra: 1 tbsp, grated (optional)
Red chillies: 8-10 nos ( 5 Kashmiri chillies for color & remaining hot variety of dry red chillies for spice!)
Curry leaves: 8-10 nos
Tamarind: 1 small grape sized
Jaggery: 2 tsp
Hing/Asafoetida: a pinch
Salt: Around 3/4th tsp
- Dry roast the channa dal, urad dal & fenugreek seeds together until golden brown. Aroma fills the kitchen when the dals are almost done. Spread it on a large plate to cool.
- To the same pan, add flax seeds & roast until the flax seeds just start spluttering. Remove from the heat & keep aside in another bowl to cool.
- Follow by dry roasting the garlic, sesame seeds, curry leaves & tamarind seperately. Each of them should not take more than a minute! Add it to the cooling channa & urad dal mixture.
- Finally dry roast the red chillies until you get a strong aroma. Remove it from heat & add it to the channa & urad dal mixture.
- Add the dry coconut to the hot pan & remove it after 5-10 secs. Keep it aside for cooling.
- Allow the flax seeds & the dal mixture to cool completely.
- First add the channa, urad dal mixture along with chillies, sesame seeds, garlic, curry leaves & tamarind to the mixie/blender & make a coarse powder of it. Towards the end of making the powder, add jaggery, salt & asafoetida. Pulse again for couple of seconds. Scoop it out in a bowl.
- Follow it my making a coarse powder of flax seeds. Add the flax seed powder to the dal mixture.
- Mix both the powders thoroughly & allow it to cool completely.
- Store it in air tight containers & use as required.