Salt: 1/2 tsp
Salt: Adjust to taste
For tempering 2:
Ghee/Clarified butter: 2 tsp
Cumin seeds: 1 tsp
Asafoetida: 1/8th tsp or a big pinch
Lemon juice: 1 tbsp
Coriander leaves/Cilantro: 1 tbsp finely chopped
- Wash the toor dal 3-4 times in water. Add 2 cups of water, turmeric, salt & cook in a pressure cooker for 3-4 whistles. Let it cool.
- Meantime, wash the greens, tomato. Finely chop the greens & dice the tomato.
- Heat oil in broad pan. When oil is hot, add cumin seeds. When seeds turn brown, add green chillies followed by onion. Saute till the onions are translucent.
- Add the tomatoes, salt, turmeric, coriander powder & saute till the tomatoes are soft.
- Throw in the finely chopped greens & cook till the leaves are tender(Around 4-6 mins).
- Mash the cooked dal & pour the dal to the greens mixture. Add 1/2 cup of water & adjust the salt.
- Cook the mixture on a medium heat for another 10-12 mins. Turn off the heat.
- Prepare the tempering. Add ghee to a small pan, when ghee is hot add cumin seeds. When seeds turn brown turn off the heat & add asafoetida. Pour the tempering over the dal prepared & cover it. Do not disturb for 2-3 mins, let the flavors soak in.
- Just before serving, add lemon juice, coriander leaves & mix well. Serve it with rice or roti.
Addition of garlic could add a nice twist to this dal.
Since the mustard leaves are a tad bitter, it is better to add lemon juice at the end.
Toor dal could be replaced with split green gram/moong dal or mixture of 2-3 dals.