Fermented idli batter: 4 cups (Click here for the idli batter recipe)
Channa dal/Gram dal: 2 tbsp
Onion: 1 no, finely chopped (optional)
Carrot: 1 medium sized, grated
Curry leaves: 8-10 leaves, finely chopped
Coriander leaves: 1 tbsp, finely chopped
Grated coconut: 2 tbsp
Coarsely powdered pepper: 1/2 tsp
Salt: According to taste
- Soak the channa dal for 4-6 hours. Drain out the water.
- Add all the ingredients mentioned to the idli batter & mix well.
- Grease the idli mould, pour around 1/4th cup of batter to each mould & steam the idlis for 5 mins.
- Enjoy the hot idli with a chutney or a side dish of your choice.
- Replace channa dal with cooked avarekai/avarekayi/surti papdi to make avarekayi idli.
- If you want the idli a bit spicy, feel free to add finely chopped green chilli.
- In the picture, I have served masala idli with channa dal chutney & chutney powder.