(Photo courtesy: http://myfrencheasel.blogspot.com/2012/01/happy-2012.html )
Back to the recipe. Spring onions or green onions are called erulli hoovu or erulli kaavu in Kannada. My mom makes a tasty gojju/curry with this & I love it. This time, mom picked up the spring onions from my native & I made the curry as per her instructions. We all loved it with akki rotti & rice!
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cooking time: 15-20 mins
Spring onions/erulli kaavu: Around 600gms
Thick tamarind extract: 2 tsp
Jaggery: 2 tsp
Oil: 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Cumin seeds: 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves: 8-10 nos
Salt: As per needs
For spice paste:
Roasted channa dal/hurigadale: 1-2 tbsp
Red chillies: 8-12 nos, non spicy one
Sesame seeds/ellu/til: 3 tsp
Urad dal: 2 tsp
Coriander leaves: 2 tbsp, finely chopped
Grated coconut: 1/2 cup, fresh/frozen
Oil: 1 tsp
- Prepare the spice paste first. Heat oil in a medium pan. When oil is hot, add urad dal followed by sesame seeds. Saute the sesame seeds on low heat for 20-30 secs. Throw in the red chillies & saute till the aroma of the red chillies fill the kitchen (or till the chillies become crisp & change its color).
- Allow the chilli mixture to cool. When cooled, throw it in a blender along with roasted channa dal, coriander leaves & grated coconut. Add 2-3 tbsp of water and prepare a smooth paste out of it. Scoop out the paste keep it aside.
- Cut the green onions length wise ( 1cm apart) & discard the flower. (Refer the picture below)
- Heat oil in a broad pan. When oil is hot, add the cumin & mustard seeds. When seeds splutter, add curry leaves & chopped spring onion greens. Saute the greens for a minute. Ensure oil is evenly coated on the greens. Keep the heat medium. Continue sauteing for 2-3 mins.
- Add the jaggery, tamarind paste, salt & spice paste to the greens. Add around /2 cup of water. Let the gravy thicken for 5-8 mins.
- Serve it hot with rice or roti.
- It is important to use tender green onions while preparing this gravy, else the greens become very chewy after cooking.
- Roasted channa dal/hurigadale could be replaced with gram dal/kadale bele/channa dal. If you intend to use channa dal, do roast them in oil along with the urad dal & rest of the procedure remains same.