Want to enjoy a meal during sore throat, cold & cough? Prepare palak bajji & enjoy any boring meal. It has the perfect ingredients to give a high to your taste buds. Great news about this curry is, when refrigerated it stays up to a month.
Ingredients: (For around 2 cups of curry)
Spinach/Palak: 3 big bunches (Around 300 grams)
Garlic: 5 pods
Amtekayi: 3 nos (Since this is not available outside India, substitute with a medium grape sized tamarind).
Green chillies: 6 nos, more or less
Salt: According to taste
Oil: 1 tbsp, preferably coconut oil
Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
Garlic: 4 pods, minced or sliced
Curry leaves: 8-10nos
- Wash the spinach leaves along with the stem thoroughly in water. Chop the leaves & the tender stem coarsely.
- Add less than 1/2 cup of water to the chopped spinach leaves. To this add garlic, amtekayi or tamarind, green chillies & salt.
- Boil on medium-high heat for 10mins or pressure cook for 1 whistle. Allow them to cool.
- Once cooled, puree the mixture.
- Heat oil in a pan. When oil is hot, throw in mustard seeds followed by garlic & curry leaves. Saute till the leaves wilt & garlic turns golden brown.
- Add the spinach puree & adjust the seasoning. Boil on a medium-low heat for 10-15mins until the flavors blend in.
- Enjoy with ganji/porridge, rice or dosa.
- If amtekayi is used: After boiling the amtekayi, squeeze out the juice & discard the hard portion.
- Ganji/Kanji/Porridge & this curry is a classic combination.