Black eyed peas: 1 cup (Soaked in water for 3-4 hours)
Spinach: 2 cups or around 200gm (finely chopped)
Tamarind paste: 1 tbsp
Jaggery: 1 tsp
Salt: According to taste
Raw rice: 1 tsp
Grated coconut: 1/2 cup (fresh or frozen)
Green chillies: 4 nos
Oil: 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds: 1/2 tsp
Shallots/sambar onions: 4 nos (finely chopped) (Original recipe didnot have this)
Asafoetida: a pinch
Curry leaves: 5-6 nos
- Pressure cook the peas with a big pinch of salt for 2 whistles. Let the cooker cool for 5-10mins.
- Meantime, make a fine paste of the coconut, green chillies & rice. Keep aside.
- Add a cup of water to the chopped spinach & cook them on medium heat for 3-5mins (Spinach gets cooked fast). Add the cooked peas, tamarind paste, salt, jaggery & the ground paste to it. Boil on a medium heat for 5-7mins (Let the peas & spinach absorb the spices).
- Finally prepare the tempering. Heat a small pan. Add oil to it. When oil is hot, add mustard seeds. When seeds splutter, add curry leaves & finely chopped onions.Saute till the onions become translucent. Finally add the asafoetida & turn off the heat. Pour the tempering over the curry prepared & mix well.
- Serve hot with plain or mildly flavored rice. We preferred it with plain rice.
Original recipe had garlic, that I have avoided. If your family prefers garlic, you could use it too.