- Wash the rice & beaten rice thoroughly & Soak it for 3-4 hours.
- Prepare a smooth batter of rice, beaten rice, red chillies, tamarind powder, curry leaves. Batter should be like bonda/bajji or pakora batter (batter is little thicker than normal dosa batter). Add salt, asafoetida & sugar to the batter. Mix well.
- Meantime, place the ridgegourd slices in water.
- Heat the dosa griddle, drizzle few drops of oil to it. Dip ridgegourd in the batter & arrange them on the tava/griddle(refer to picture below).
- The ridgegourd slices must touch each other. Add 1/2 tsp oil, cover the griddle with a lid & cook on low-medium heat for 1-1.5mins. Turn the dosa & cook on the other side too for a min.
- Serve it hot with ghee as a breakfast or a sidedish to rice.
- Instead of raw rice, I used Thai rice. Hence, I increased the beaten rice to 1/3rd cup for 3 cups of thai rice. So, it is important to adjust the beaten rice accordingly to get soft dosas. Else, the dosa becomes very hard & rubbery.
- Addition of coconut (around 1 tbsp) will also enhance the flavor & softness of the dosa, however I try to avoid as we normally consume a lot of coconut otherwise.
- If some more batter is left over, add some water & make it pouring consistency. Prepare thin crepes/dosas with it. (We call it uppu-huli-khara dose. Uppu-Salt, Huli- Sour, Khara-Heat/Spice dosa). These thin crepes/dosa are also equally tasty.