Nugge soppu is not so popular veggie in our family. So, I never bought this, but.., I was very much fascinated about the medicinal values of this leaves. Though, my granny didnot serve me dishes prepared using this during my post pregnancy, she always used to say that it is very good for lactating mothers.
Now that.., I got so much information from her, I thought of sharing this information with you all.
Uses of nugge soppu:
- It helps in weight gain & overcoming anemia (rich in iron).
- Pregnant ladies & feeding mothers are advised to consume nugge soppu. It helps in increasing the breast milk for feeding mothers ( because it is rich in calcium).
- Rich in Vitamin C & thus helps in fighting against cold & cough.
- It contains more potassium than banana.
When I called up my aunt, I got to know very easy & mouthwatering nugge soppu recipes from her. So, ladies & gentlemen.., it would be nugge soppu recipes for few days in my blog :))
Ingredients for tovve:
1 cup hesaru bele (moong dal, split green gram dal)
3 cups nugge soppu
1 onion chopped
1 tomato chopped
1/2 tsp grated ginger
3 green chillis (slit)
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/ tsp jeera/cumin seeds
salt according to taste
1 tbsp oil
- Soak the moong dal in warm water for 1 hour.
- Wash the nugge soppu & keep it aside.
- In a broad kadai, add oil. When oil is hot, add mustard & cumin seeds. When they splutter, add onion & saute till it turns golden brown.
- Add green chillies, curry leaves & tomato & saute till tomatoes become soft.
- To this add, nugge soppu & cook for 2mins (till leaves become soft).
- Add hesaru bele, salt & water & cook till dal is cooked completely (Can pressure cook for 1 whistle).
- Add lemon juice & serve it with rice/roti.