My grandmom used to & even now prepare kajal (kannu kappu) with honagone soppu; according to her it is very good for eyes :))
Kannada :Hongone Soppu, English: Sessile Joyweed, Tamil: Ponnanganni Kerai (Courtesy Lakshmi)
I had got a big bunch of hongone soppu from the market last week & was wondering what could I prepare with so much of soppu. First day, I prepared palya(stir fry) with it & was wondering what else could be prepared. Later, thought of preparing sambar, but I had never prepared sambar with this or seen anybody preparing sambar. My mom & granny also used to prepare only palya. I have never seen my in-laws using this, so was in a confusion..., then the thing that struct me was masoppu (English translation: Masoppu means., masediro soppu => mashed greens).
I gave a try & the dish was sold out FDFS(First Day First Show) & was a super duper hit. I could not even take a picture of the masoppu prepared, nothing was left :((
Anyways, who needs the picture, what we all need is the right recipe..
- 1 bunch (washed & chopped) hongone soppu
- 1 medium sized onion
- 2-3 tomatoes (if the tomatoes are not sour, you may end up adding more !!)
- 3 green chillies
- 1 pod garlic (minced & finely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons of Toor Dal
- 2 cups water
- Salt according to taste.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 pod garlic finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon jeera
- 3-4 curry leaves
- 1-2 red chillies
- Put all the ingredients from 1-7 in a cooker & pressure cook for 3 whistles
- Allow the cooked mixture to cool
- Once cool, put the mixture in a blender & just run the blender for 10-15 secs (It should not become a very smooth paste).
- Heat a pan, add oil. When oil is hot, add mustard & jeera to it. When seeds crackle, add garlic, chillies & curry leaves.
- To this add the mixture(from the blender), add salt according to taste & boil for 5 mins.
- Hongone masoppu is ready, tastes great with rice & papad/chips.
I took a photo of my plate & here it is.., Next time, when I prepare, I'll put the photo of masoppu ;))